TopBand: Remote signal source

Larry Higgins n9dx@michiana.org
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 11:27:14 -0500

Carl, I don't know whether 1.5 wavelengths is far enough to be out of the
near field or not.  Probably someone else here on the reflector can answer
that.

I think that if your oscillator at your antenna can be heard on a 75 meter
inverted vee four miles away, that the reverse should also be true.
Intuitively, the path loss should be the same in both directions.

If the inverted vee is broadside to your location, it probably will be
predominantly horizontally polarized in your direction.  If so, that's a
path loss of about 20 db.  Even a short vertical with a loading coil would
likely do better. I see that Denny, K8DO, posted a suggestion of using a
vertical dipole.  Sounds good to me. Or maybe just short the feedline on
your friend's 75 meter inverted vee and feed it as a Marconi.  That should
give you a pretty good vertical component.

I doubt you will need several hundred milliwatts.  If you use that much,
suggest that you do your testing during midday, so that the continuous
carrier won't bother anybody.

73

Larry, N9DX