TopBand: NL7Z - More to chew on?

K1ZM K1ZM@aol.com
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:34:10 EST

Hi guys

A most interesting possible scenario has been suggested by Bob/VE7BS.

How about due South ALONG the terminator and then back up to Kevin?

If this is what happened, what would we call it?

EXTENDED TERMINATOR MODE?

Definition:  (Open for further refinement)

"Ducting ALONG the terminator for distances APPROACHING that of TRUE long path
along azimuths skewed as much as 150 degrees from the direct, darkness path."

Comments?

Is their data to cause us to lean toward VE7BS's suggested solution for this?
Well, perhaps,  in that John, WD4JRA, has now also noted that NL7Z was pee-
weak on his 330 degree NW beverage and stronger on his SE 155 degree beverage.
W1FV has noted that similar events have occurred on 80CW with Northern
lattitude stations at the equinox.  QSO's made have exhibited PEAKING from the
SOUTH on his beverages.  This may help us understand what could have happened.

A beverage has a good front to back and does not respond WELL to high angle
signals.  This sort of trashes the high angle mode off the BACK of my 4
square.  At least it raises some serious doubts and CAUSES ME to look
elsewhere for a BETTER answer.

Whatever it was, it did not reoccur this AM.  Just VK3AJJ and VK6VZ with good
signals.  NL7Z did not appear to show - perhaps Kevin's ears are STILL ringing
from all the ECHO!

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com

(BTW, we don't need any mud slinging over this one.  That gets us nowhere!
Additional input as to what OTHERS heard, directions noted, what RX antennas
were used etc WOULD be helpful... I am trying to get W3BGN to let us know
which way he was listening when he worked Kevin around 1100z.  If Steve
listens on beverages also, his comments could help us further eliminate one
scenario suggested and move closer to the other suggested possibility!)

K1ZM@aol.com