TopBand: Delta Loops.

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:01:02 EST

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 00:58:13 EST k6se@juno.com (Earl W Cunningham)
writes:

>EZNEC says:

>"Delta" loop, equilateral triangle, base horizontal and 8' high.
>Feedpoint adjusted for max vertical polarization:  Gain = 1.91 dBi @
>20.9 degrees TOA.

>Results are for full-size (1 wavelength) loops resonant at 1.830 mHz
>and above "good" (5mS/m) ground.  Gain increases and TOA decreases if
>soil conductivity is better than "good", and vice-versa.

What about the above over 1mS/m ground Earl?  That is what I have here.

>Earl, K6SE says:
>
>You might consider a non-ground-return-dependant, vertically polarized
>antenna that is much less unwieldy than the above full-size quad and
>delta loops (which require support(s) anywhere from 160' to over 200'
>high).   A choice such as the so-called "magnetic radiator" type of
>antenna for 160m would require two supports about 52' high with the
>bottom of the antenna 8' high.  EZNEC says the following for such an
>antenna, resonant at 1.830 mHz and erected over "good" soil:  Gain =
>2.11 dBi @ 24.4 degrees TOA.

I have heard that those antennas require some very touchy adjustments,
have poor bandwidth and use a variable capacitor with out of sight
requirements.

I have the tower height so just a conventional delta loop is sufficient
here.

The 2nd part of my loop question was....can 2 identical loops be
interlaced at right angles?
How should they be fed?  Is it possible to get 4 direction switching with
creative phasing?

But from your initial modeling they appear to have a gain loss over my
verticals.

Does anyone wish to swap a copy of the latest  EZNEC for my  latest
K6STI AO/Nec-Wires/TA combination? I would like to compare the 2
programs.

Tnx  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]