TopBand: Radial Debate

Garry & Yelena ni6t@best.com
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 23:12:53 -0700

n4xd@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I've spent weeks deleting almost ALL the notes on the elevated radial
> debate because: I do not have the option of using them (only have a
> 70'tower).
>
> Seems to me that regardless of the "theory" what works best is what each
> individual site can install in a practical manner. My vote isthat we
> forgoe the theoretical debates (after all didn't they prove man would
> NEVER fly??) and just let each ham do what works best for them?
>
> Surely there is something more interesting than this continuing
> discussion?

Perhaps, for you, there may be a whole lot of more interesting
subjects--and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and entitled
to hit the delete key as often as you like. But I regret that you feel
that way.

The charter of this Reflector is Topband, antennas are arguably the most
important subject to the topband operator, and vertical antennas are
probably germane to more topband operators in the temperate and northern
lattitudes than any other kind. So the subject is appropriate. The
extent of the debate merely indicates that the subject is also
non-trivial, and that there is a lot to be learned---and taught. To the
extent that the debate is civil (and it generally has been, with some
exceptions), the contention between theoretical and empirical is healthy
and stimulating.

I also do not have the option of using a vertical on topband---nor a
yagi on 80, nor stacked yagis on the higher bands. In fact, I have never
owned more than 10 feet of tower. No matter: the subject is still
relevant to me. That I do not at present have the means to directly
contribute to this discussion by building and measuring my own system
stimulates, rather than dampens, my interest. A single point made here
that can adapted to my station--in "a practical manner," as you put it,
and that will improve its performance, would be icing on the cake.

--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
160 meters: not a band, but an obsession