TopBand: From 3DA0CA

Chris R. Burger Chris.Burger@Nanoteq.com
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:48:15 +0200

Message from Jon Rudy 3DA0CA.  As always, I'll deal with queries, if
any.

Now that several hundred stations are in the log, we're not going to
post callsigns again.  However, please refrain from working him if
you've done so before; give the li'l guys a chance!

Propagation seems to be fair from here right now, but the static is way
over S-9 and makes contacts impossible.  I didn't hear the quiet
conditions on Saturday night.

Chris R. Burger
ZS6EZ

I heard some activity over the weekend on 160.  It was very quiet QRN
wise
Saturday night so I turned the rig on at 2030 and heard the TY8A
pileups.
 Now since I am not collecting countries on 160 I made a half hearted
effort  to no avail.  If the TY8 folks have a pilot you might want to
pass
on to them that they are loud into southern Africa.  Loud EU signals.
Tried
calling CQ on 1838 but no use.  No one hear me.  Also listened at JA
sunrise but no signals.  I have listened several time and called during
JA
sunrise in the last month but no propagation.

My operation schedule for November will settle like this.  Weekdays
(Monday
morning to Friday morning) I will be on at least 10 minutes before my
sunrise.  At present it is 0302z and about a minute less every day or
so.
Frequency is 1.8275 Mhz.

On weekends, that is Friday night Z and Saturday night Z I will be
calling
and listening in the window from 1700z to 2200z.  Again I will try to be
on
1.8275 unless its busy in which case I will move up where my antenna
works
best.

I have been working some EU in the morning.  I suspect all of the
British
Isles are asleep at that time but I know I could work some given the
openings that progress to the east coast of the US.

I want to work more EU and UK this season.  I have worked many of the
second tier US and even many into the third tier.  How many in EU and UK
still need 3DA0?

Hope this helps...73 jon 3da0ca