TopBand: QSP to E30GA

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:36:44 -0500

I am attempting to FAX the following info to the E30GA crew.  If any of
you can help relay, it would be appreciated as the FAX number is giving me
a busy signal and it may not go through.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

To: Bruce Richards WD4NGB	                 10 November 1998
From: Bill Tippett W4ZV                          Re: 160 Operating Suggestions

1.  Please do not use 1830.0 for transmit.  Broadcast stations in the USA
produce images every even 10 kHz.  The best bet is to use 0.5 kHz spacing
(1829.5 for example) since Europeans also have images on some even frequencies.

2.  Please slow down to around 20 WPM when working North America.  QRN and
QSB make it very difficult to work at 35 WPM.  Also, SSB is a very difficult
mode on 160, even for Europeans.  Please always use CW when possible.

3.  Please always operate split.  Local signals are extremely loud on 160
making a transceive pileup on 160 utter chaos.  Announce "QSX UP 5" for example.

4.  Please check 160 for propagation at other times than 0100-0300.  A good
plan might be as follows:

1500 - 2000   Asia, Middle East, Europe
2000 - 2100   Japan (you must listen in their window 1907.5 - 1912.8 kHz, TX on
                      your normal frequency, 1829.5 for example)
2100 - 0330   North America and Europe

5. A good strategy for the 2100-0330 timeframe is to alternate operating on
80 and 160 as your operator did last evening, with frequent checks to see if
160 is open.  160 openings are brief and unpredictable, especially to North
America.  If signals are quite strong on 80, most likely 160 will be open
but with weaker signals.  Also, do not give up at sunrise on 80 or 160.  80
in particular can remain open for DX about 30-60 minutes past sunrise.  If
you hear North America, please ask Europe to QRX since our opening is much
shorter due to the longer distance.

6.  Sometimes North America will peak at our sunset (22-23Z) or your sunrise
(0320)...sometimes it may be 00-02Z.  The only way to catch the opening is
to be there (for your operators who have insomnia!)

	Thanks for your efforts on Topband!  Just remember that, if it's dark
outside, there is someone listening for you on 160 somewhere in the world!

							73, Bill W4ZV