TopBand: VP8/G4VFU

gator@wolfenet.com gator@wolfenet.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:16:27 -0800 (PST)

There has been a continuing discussion about why VP8/G4VFU QSL's from April
1998 have not been accepted by the DXCC desk for Falkland Islands credit.
dates that Carl, G4VFU, was land based.  The following message from K5FUV
(forwarded with permission) appears to state that the real problem is that
*none* of G4VFU's operations were from terra firma, and thus cannot be
considered land based according to DXCC rules.

The QSL manager, Eddie, G0HXL, hand printed the following note on my card
and initialed it:  "Carl was transmitting both MM and land based.  He was
land based from the 19th-25th April."  Well, apparently not good enough land...

73,
Charley, K7NW
Seattle
-------------------------
X-From_: bkennamer@arrl.org  Wed Nov 11 05:50:02 1998
From: "Kennamer, Bill,  K5FUV" <bkennamer@arrl.org>
To: gator@wolfenet.com
Cc: "Moore, Bill,  NC1L" <bmoore@arrl.org>
Subject: VP8/G4VFU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:49:22 -0500

Hi Charlie,

We have received communications from G4VFU. He himself does not give us
any dates of land based operation, but said that he considered being on
a rig secured to the seabed within 150 km of VP8 to be landbased. DXCC
does not consider any operation from an oil rig to be land based. This
would be even more true in the case of a structure like an oil rig which
is located outside the 12 mile limit.

After having received direct communication from the operator when we had
asked for direct confirmation of land based operation and not getting
it, and also having received a communication from the QSL manager saying
he could not provide the dates of land based operation, I don't see how
we can accept cards unless and until the operator verifies that any
operation was landbased.

73

Bill K5FUV