TopBand: Poor signal?

** Ron K9YY ** k9yy@da-corvette.com
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 00:39:17 -0500

 Tonight I had some what of a humbling experience, I called T32MP for
close to a hour before I had a QSO. When guys 30-50 miles away worked
them first call on the same calling frequency. I was running 1500 watts
into a 1/4 wave slopper at 130ft I tried switching between the east,north
west ,and south west sloppers and also going to lower power. I also used
my club call incase my call was a problem. The T32 was S-5 to S-7 This
antenna system has been in place for two years and has always worked
great, the SWR looks ok. Could I be getting fooled by band conditions?
Should I look for a antenna problem? I'm glad the station stayed on long
enough to work him. <br>
Ron K9YY&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
<BR>