TopBand: Re: [TowerTalk] Open Wire Line

Joe Craig jcraig@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:38:10 -0230 (NDT)

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, w8ji.tom wrote:

> > Spreader source?
> >
> > Don W7WLL
>
> Home made from UV resistant Lexan per 4X4NJ's suggestion.
>
> If the spreaders lasts through a whole year of GA sunshine without
> deterioration of any kind, I'm thinking of having a few thousand stamped
> out.

I've had good results with 3/8" teflon rod on a 600 ohm line.  Teflon is
easy to machine and it is more heat resistent than lexan. (We get
silver thaw up here so I melt of the ice by passing AC through the
transmission line.)

After 7 years of sun, rain and melting ice episodes, the spreaders are
still in excellent shape.  The wire is Belden 8000 (#14).

73
Joe VO1NA