TopBand: Beverage question

Dave_K9NX n7ex@athenet.net
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 00:14:48 +0000

At 05:49 PM 10/26/98 -0500, John Kaufmann wrote:

>At 10:23 AM 10/26/98 -0600, Raymond Dave-CSUS04 wrote:
>
>>The T32 signal was essentially equal from all four beverage directions.  If
>>I were trying out my beverages this morning for the first time, I would have
>>never believed that they are working.  It's a little hard to believe that
>>the angle of the arriving signal from T32 is so high that the beverages show
>>no difference in signal strength.  Is there something else to attribute
>>phenomenon to or is it purely a high angle of the arriving signal.
>>

>I have three 2-wire Beverages covering 6 directions (45, 90, 135, 225, 270,
>and 315 degrees).   Sometimes I find a DX signal might be roughly equal
>from as many as 3 directions spread over 90 degrees in azmuth, due to
>multipath propagation where the signal often has a hollow or echoey sound.
>This might be what you observed on the T32.  Fairly often, however, I

The Multi-path was definitely in  here in the Mid west this morning when
listening to the T32 for an hour an half (he  was S8 at my peak). At times
he was stronger out of the NW and other times he was stronger out of the SW
(the preferred path from here in WI). I was doing a lot of switching back
and forth as I just finished putting up the second Bev. (NW/SE) last week
and have been  trying to judge its performance. Most of the time he was
strongest out of the SW but occasional he would fade and then  peak on the
NW antenna. Both antennas are 600' long x 8' high Be vs. with 500ohm
terminations.

I could here the guys on Ohio working the VK6's but i never did hear them,
normal Vk6HD is quite copiable here.

Dave
K9NX
"Silly Corn Valley, Wisconsin"