TopBand: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ 160 committee issues (3)

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:34:29 EDT

In a message dated 98-09-02 13:10:44 EDT, K4JRB writes:

<<  Item 1.0    Stations operating from disputed areas with calls not assigned
 by proper authorities will not be allowed to compete for awards in the
 contests  and will be listed as check logs.  These contacts will be similar
 to martime mobile contacts for credit (no multipliers).  Immediate
 implementation.  Applies to 1998 and forward.
  1.1    Alternative to 1.0.    Contacts with stations operating with improper
 calls as in 1.0  will not count for points credit.  Applies to year 2000 on
 if adopted.
  Examples of such stations include call prefixes include (improper/correct):
 1X/UA;  4N4, 4O4, YU4, YT4, YZ4/T9; 1B/5B4

Why disqualify legitimate operators? DXCC or WAE countries list to be used for
determining multipliers and qualification of station for award/points. It is
not our business to judge who is the proper authority, that is internal matter
of the country and their organizations! What is "improper call"? If there is
new area/territory/country emerging, until it is recognized (DXCC etc.), the
station, operation counts for the "old" country. Isn't that simple/obvious
enough?

<< ITEM 2.0    DX stations will send a preselected number (of their choice).
 This number is to be between 00 and 999 (3 digits max, 2 min).   Suggested
 is age or power.   This is proposed as the location currently sent is
 confusing.

What is confusing about sending location/QTH? Preselected number doesn't make
sense. It should be either QSO number, or leave it as it is. QSO number
involves variable that we are "forced" to copy and it changes. Any "fixed
number" is a constant that can be determined any time later.

<< ITEM 3.0    There has been numerous claims and counterclaims about QRP
 participants.   The proposal is to eliminate the QRP category and have two
 levels:   Low power to 200W output and high power anything above 200W
 output.

 Item 3.1    Alternative to 3.0    Add single operator assisted and make low
 power be 100W output.

What is the problem with QRP? If there is a problem with QRP, then there is a
problem with low power and high power. As far as power level for Low Power,
most common is 100W, then 150W and fewest rigs have 200W output. Last power
level would invite use of amplifiers "turned down" to 200W. Keep the low power
at 100W.
   We no need no stinki'n "assisted" category on 160m. This is gentlemen's
band, we do not need packet, we like to do it old fashion way. DX part of the
band is so narrow, that it takes idiot to miss fresh multiplier if it shows
up.
   If it ain't broken, don't fix it!  CQ 160m contests are OK and no major
complaints.
    That's this OF opinion.

73 Yuri  K3BU, VE3BMV