TopBand: Strange condx this AM

Larry Emery k1uo@banet.net
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 08:02:42 -0400

This morning was a bit different on topband.  Signals didnt actually
come out of the noise floor until AFTER sunrise at 10:01z.    Bob VK3ZL
actually peaked at 20 minutes after and was heard at 29 minutes after
wkg Tom W8JI.  Bob peaked 589-599 at the peak and was still 539 at
10:29z.  I moved up freq and called Bob and Jeoff VK2OI answered at 31
mins after sunrise but the Sun got us a mere 60 seconds later!!!

The strange thing was that even though I first heard Jeoff and Bob on
the Beverages, They were by far much stronger on the horizontal transmit
antenna (When it dawned on me to try it!!) They both dropped back down
with the 1/4 wave vertical antenna. Definately a "Horizontal" morning I
guess.

I know, Welcome to the world of 160.......

73 de K1UO Larry