TopBand: CQ 160 Rules

Tree N6TR n6tr@teleport.com
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 03:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Please no grid squares - it's hard enough getting callsigns through on long
> haul QSOs from VK, at least for those of us not blessed with tree burners
> and acre sized properties. What's wrong with CQ zones, as suggested on this
> reflector a few days ago?

Perhaps.  The neat thing about grid squares is that it allows you to
create a scoring system that rewards those long DX QSOs with enough
points to make them worth pulling through.

A scoring system like that is probably the only way someone from VK
will place high in the final results.  This was shown by the excellent
score from VK6VZ in the last Stew Perry test.

> I like K1HTV's suggestion regarding a finite number of darkness hours, as
> activity should be focussed where it is most productive. Mathematically:
> (more activity) + (less grind) = (more fun) -> (more activity next year)

We have found this to be a very hard rule to write and make it fair - and
understandable at the same time.

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com