TopBand: IARU Region 1. 160m Contest]

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:23:13 EDT

In a message dated 98-09-23 10:44:06 EDT, OH3WW writes:

<< ARRL IARU 160m contest rules:
 Note:  single operators may operate up to 14 hours. ....
.....  Everyone is permitted to use PacketCluster and  such
 use does not change a single operator into a multi operator.

I wish that "sponsors" STOP redefining the meaning of SINGLE OPERATOR meaning.
Single Operator using packet is NO SINGLE OPERATOR but operator assisted by
who knows how many operators via packet/Internet (phone, fax, whispering into
the ear, etc.)

I for one, will NEVER operate in the contest that defines single operator as
one using someone elses assistance. Any asistance provided by someone else to
operator puts him in the multi-operator category. That's why there is multi op
category!!!
I left DXing because of the list and net operations. We find ridiculous
fishing in the aquarium or hunting in the ZOO, yet DXing on the list/nets,
contest operating as Single op with packet assistance is OK? Defies logic!

I urge fellow decent contesters to put the stop to this nonsense and preserve
the sanity in the last frontier of ham radio (contesting). Please join me in
effort to keep the contesting sane! Make your opinion known to sponsors, and
do not operate contests that pervert the meaning of single operator!!! (Is
Clintonade creeping in?)

Using technology (computers, keyers, gadgets) is one thing, getting someone
else to feed the information via any means is something else.

Thank you for the bandwidth and your support!

73 Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV, P40A