Topband: MFJ-1026 or ANC-4

Pete Rimmel k8unp@shadow.net
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:26:29 -0700

I use the ANC-4 very successfully on 160 M.  I had at one time a nouse
20 over S-9 which I was able to get down to about S-2 with the noise
canceller...  Later was able to eliminate the noise - A pole pig
transformer on the AC lines 3 blocks away.

However it did work VERY WELL to eliminate the noise.

I understand the MFJ works well too.

I use a PVC octagonal loop helically wound with 240 Turns No 26 enamel
wire and a tuned circuit for the noise antenna... I get it to resonate
with a 120 pf trimmer in series with the coil and a 120 pf trimmer in
series with the 50 Ohm coax to the ANC-4.  It tunes to resonance and can
be rotated with armstrong or TV rotor.

Pic of the loop arrangement - all 1/2" PVC pipe and fittings below:

                               1        2
                            _________________
                     12    /        |        \  3
                          /         |         \
                          |         |         |
                    11    |         |         | 4
                          |---------+---------| <- tee & cross in middle
                          |         |         | 5
                     10   |         |         |
                          \         |         / <-- 45 deg angle
                                              <-- 45 deg angle
				8	7
All 12 sections of PVC are 12" long .   I feed it at the bottom center
with a small
piece of perf board used to mount the 2 120 pf trimmers and a SO-239
Coax connector.

Hope this helps.

73   Pete N8PR