Topband: Solar Eclipse on 160

Luis Mansutti IV3PRK luisprk@tin.it
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:21:52 +0200

Messaggio a pił sezioni in formato MIME.

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BEE447.E9A88920

Hi Topbanders,
it has been a great experience enjoing such beatiful conditions AT NOON =
in the month of august on 160 meters!!!
The eclipse began on my QTH in "JN66ne" at 09.18z, with a maximum of 96% =
of totality at 10.42 z and ended at 12.06z.
After half an hour of listening through our familiar noise I began =
hearing at 10.10z ON4UBA/6 and EA3JE but they could'nt copy me; the =
first QSO was with DL1DA at 10.12z (380 km) with 599 and than I moved on =
1.834 calling CQ and working 26 stations in 13 countries from 10.20 z =
until 11.30z , with some QSB at times, but without any kind of noise.
The most interesting QSOs have been :=20
10.32z G3WUX (over 1.000 km) 569/599,=20
10.35z GM3POI ( 1.740 km )  599/599,=20
10.42z F2YT ( 910 km) 599/599,=20
10.45z SM5EDX ( 1.510 km) 589/589,=20
10.47z YO2CEQ ( 580 km)  with 599+20 both ways,
11.05 TA2BK ( 1.400 km) 589/599.
At 11.26 z I got the last one calling me and so I moved around on the =
band, which was going again into its usual noise, looking for ON,  EA or =
hopefully 4X4; Helmut DK6WL ( 220 km. ) was the only one left and I =
worked him with 599/599 and I heard him calling CQ until 11.45 z when =
everything definitely disappeared....I looked to the sun with my welding =
mask and the eclipse was not yet ended....unbelievable the speed at =
which the D-layer built up again !!!!!!
A further note on the angles: with the exception of DK6WL ( stronger on =
a very low dipole as at sunrise), ALL the stations were copied much =
better on the receiving vertical phased four elements mini-array with a =
very high directivity, seldom experienced on european signals ( while =
listening to the south disappeared even the signals from Germany !).
Unfortunately It will not be possible to do it again.............
73 to everybody and CUL on the Band

Luis IV3PRK