Topband: Re. Solar Eclipse on 160

Luis Mansutti IV3PRK luisprk@tin.it
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:16:51 +0200

Messaggio a pił sezioni in formato MIME.

------=_NextPart_000_0031_01BEE510.6067B7C0

ON4UN wrote:

<Luis:
<
<Wonder if you monitored our beacons station ON4UBA/B, which was on 1831.5
<from 03:00 until 13:00 z all day long (my station and antenna, running 1KW
<to 1/4 wave vert)?  It was part of a project involving beacons on 160, 80
<and 40 m.

Hi John,
YES I did monitor the band a couple of times before the Eclipse looking
for your beacon on 1831.5 (of course in the evening before there was the
usual big signal as expected); I remember I did at 08.00 z and at 09.30
z, but absolutely NOTHING . I began hearing ON4UBA/B after 10.00 z , but
at 10.10 z the signal was only 559 compared with DL1DA at 599; after
that QSO, as I said I stayed on my frequency until 11.30 z and than, no
callers, I moved around on the band looking particularly on 1831.5 for
your station, but NIL here...everything disappeared, but DK6WL for
further 15 minutes.
It has been a FANTASTIC experience ( as the last day of my summer
holidays hi!) and it should be interesting now to well analyze the
geometry of the paths; as I said the angles seemed to be very low and
very selective; the F/B of the receiving array was very very high.
Somebody from DL spotted on the cluster my call with "...but no ears..."
when I was beaming to the south; on the other end I was heard in SV8
with 599 and I did not hear a 10 KW station calling me while working the
North Europeans !!
By the way I was running as usual 600 Watts into a shunt-fed tower with
4 elevated radials.
Best 73
Luis IV3PRK