Topband: Update from KH2

Julius Gostel K4SXT@rocketmail.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 23:44:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi gang,

Condx from KH2 to Europe have been good for the past 3
days -- Dec 15,16, and 17 provided 37 QSO's.  The
concentration has been Eastern Europe, but I did
manage to connect with 3 F stations, 3 DJ's and 2
HB9's. No Scandinavia heard.   Signals have ranged up
to solid s8, with the strongest at my sunrise (2035z).
 This morning the band opened at 2000z which is about
20 minutes earlier than usual.  My noise has been
running about S5.

Condx to USA have been terrible - the noise level here
has been ranging from S6 to S8 between 1000z and
1400z. I can hear the JA's working a few guys but not
a peep from USA other than Tom W8JI (who I can copy
with difficulty - S5/6 just at the noise).  Reading
the traffic on the reflector, I think the noise
problem on this side is the reason for the
frustrations coming from the East Coast re: JA's.  I
have been looking for AA1K, W4ZV, N4SU, K1ZM et al but
so far no luck.  I seem to remember that this time
last year when the band finally opened to Europe, it
seemed to close toward stateside.

I continue to add radials, much to the consternation
of the guys who cut the grass behind my house.

Hope to see everyone in the Stew Perry - grid QK23.
Will open at 1500z tonight looking for West Coast,
Europe and 4X4NJ.

73,
Gus  KH2/K4SXT