Topband: Shunt fed tower grounded guy wires

Bruce Lallathin aa8u@modempool.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:05:04 -0500

Ken, you are feeding an electrically very wide radiator for the lower
portion of the tower. If you break up the guy wires, you will have to
retune the matching network for sure. If it were mine, I would break up the
guy wires without hesitation.

Your best and most bang for the buck improvement will be to add about 10
times the radials you have now. Even if you have to put down a bunch of
chicken wire, 150'X3', and bond them to a ring of #6 copper about the base
of the tower. You will add some very wide 150' radials that way and until
they finally deteriorate due to corrosion will be a very effective ground
screen. I did it and it works FB. Your bandwidth and losses to Mother Earth
will be reduced greatly and your effective radiated power will be increased
bunches.

Oh, I'm no 160M Guru. You are just benefiting from my experience here.

AA8U