Topband: What was that JA contest this morning?

John Kaufmann kaufmann@ll.mit.edu
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:29:56 -0500

N4UK wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed the correlation between the JA
>broadcast "beacon" signal on 3920 (or is it 3925? Can't recall the freq
>right now) and conditions on 160m??

It's on 3925 and yes, I've observed it for many years, finding there is
indeed a strong correlation to propagation to JA on 160 (and 80).  Another
great beacon is the BBC relay in Singapore on 3915 kHz, which is an
excellent indicator of propagation to southeast Asia on the long path at
local sunset.  The two times I've heard LP 9V1 on 160, this beacon was
screaming loud.  Another useful one is the North Korean BC station on 2850
kHz.  I check these "beacons" all the time.

This morning was the best JA opening so far this season here in eastern
MA--JA1CGM, JA1HQT, JA1JRK all in with good 559-569 signals on the NW path.
CGM had very strong echo on his signal for some reason.  The rest were
clear.  JA7BXS was also heard, a bit down from the others.

73, John W1FV