TopBand: W0AH 160M Multi

W0AH@aol.com W0AH@aol.com
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:38:27 EST

After fixing the Y2K bug (which cost me over 6K) the preliminary results look
like this-

W0AH  HP  Multi  (W0ETT and W0AH)

QSOs        NA MULT'S       DX   MULTS          SCORE            HOURS
777           54              21               171,675            30

FT-1000 and 1200 watts to 90' shunt fed, top loaded vertical with 700' NE
beverage, 600'  E-W beverage, and 600' JA beverage.

Highlights:   Being called by W1BB, ZL6QH, VK6HD and working over 50 JA's
Lowights:  S9 QRN Friday night when conditions to EU were pretty good; missing
ME and MS; spending time calling the Y2K's.
      Overall, conditions seemed poorer and activity a bit down from last
year.  We probably could have worked 10 more countries Friday night when
propagation to Europe was above average, but the static crashes made it too
tough and embarrassing to try.  We even had to ask east coast stations for
many repeats and just plain couldn't copy some thru the static.
      It was much quieter Saturday night, but Europen signals were way down.
We worked the following DX: KP2, 8P, ZF, V4, DL, XE, KH6, VP2E, G, SP, F, KP4,
GW, KH2, JA, CM, VK, KL7, EA8, I, and ZL.
Heard about 10 addition countries.
      Put up temporary 600' JA beverage Friday afternoon and was rewarded with
over 50 JA contacts, best ever from here.  Arigato!
      Ken, W0ETT, and I have 80 years of licensed amateur operation between
us.     Do we qualify as the over-the-hill gang?  Be kind!
       Our Colorado effort always looks puny when compared to the world class
AA0RS, K0RF multi effort 100 miles to our north.  Congratulations Dave and
Chuck!  We obviosly need to find a different niche.
Hope every one had fun.
Doug   W0AH  Woodland Park CO