TopBand: VK9XX

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:25:54 +0800

I had a short QSO with the VK9XX gang last night on 160m - they are doing it
very tough, with an S9 noise level.

With the problems with the noise, if no signals can be heard on 160m (after
much much calling and listening), the blokes will go to 80m, so that
sunrise/sunset openings are not a complete dead loss.  The key is to keep
listening on 1826.3 or swap your Rx between 160m and 80m.  If VK9XX ain't on
160m, they are probably having a quick sortie on 80m.

The key thing to remember is that VK9XX will not give up - they are very
determined.

Having operated up there myself, I know how horribly noisy the place is...
Electrical noise, equatorial atmospherics, Christmas has these in spades...

Good luck to everyone.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ