TopBand: The Dawning

Bill Hohnstein KØHA k0ha@navix.net
Sat, 09 Jan 1999 01:14:29 -0800

It was nice to finally have 160 more like it should be in January.
I didn't get home in time for the reported good opening to Africa.
VP8CRB had his best signal here, peaking in strength around 0545z.
I also worked a fair number of European regulars (it must be saying
something that I just had my first topband QSO this season with ON4UN
tonight).  There was a broad peak to Europe also centered around 0545z.
Those signals were at a higher angle/more easterly azimuth than normal.
But, all was not rosy...  While the temperature was -20º C, there was
almost summer-like static--30 dB higher than normal with crashes
still 30 dB above that!  Only the Wizard of Ø'z permitted the QSO's.

                         2
       73,   Bill       KØHA
                       16Ø

   This is the dawning of the Age of the Zerøs