TopBand: ZL9CI

W7lr@aol.com W7lr@aol.com
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:49:23 EST

After a pit stop I decided to listen for ZL9CI on 160 m just before 0900 utc.
Soon heard AA0RS and W8JI work him on 1840 ssb, but could not hear the
ZL9 here in SW Montana, but hrd ZL2JR.  Just at 0900 I hrd ZL9CI cq on
1826.5, listening from 1831 to 1831.5   Soon afterwards about 0905 utc he had
built up to nearly s7 on my tx array for ZL and a new one was soon in the log.
At this time NE9Z and N7NG near Jackson Wyoming could not hear him, and
they are only about 400 miles south of here, Bozeman Montana.  I soon bid
them gm (via the KE7X/N7NG) dx cluster. This morning Bill NE9Z said that
toward 1000 utc the ZL9 signal built up there and both worked him.
NM7M may have a new task to explain such a shift in propagation.
The ZL worked quite a few w6 7 0.  He was hearing very well, much better than
most US stations.  Good luck. 73 Bob W7LR