TopBand: VP8CRB Falkland Islands

Bernie McClenny bernie@dailydx.com
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:57:46 -0800

The following is from Jan, VP8CRB/K4QD.  I spoke to him around 00:10Z
today on 17 meters and he told me they did get the beverage up.  I told
him many were calling him on Friday night (Saturday GMT) on 160 meters
and he was not hearing them.  He says the beverage should work.  Later
around 03:14Z I worked him as did others from the US.

Gale,
Thanks for the note.
Yes, we built the loop using your measurements and
got it up just after our sunset at about 0020z last
night.   We had to take the other three antennas
down to put this one up, but it does load up well
on the other bands, and I actually heard some
strong signals on 80M for the first time.  It tuned
up flat from about 1.810 to 1.880 Mhz.

I then stayed on 160 meters for six hours straight.
I noted that the signals were quite strong right
when I came, so I plan to start on 160 M earlier,
right at my sunset.  I worked 60 stations - mostly
Europe last night on 160 meters.  The problem here
is a hign noise level.  Even on the loop I had a
solid S 7-9 Noise level here.  I really have to
pull every call letter by letter out of the noise.

 Bob and I are just discussing putting up a
Beverage.  I have a matching unit that a guy gave
me before I left.  Can you give me the best length
for one and two wavelengths.  I know it is about
500 feet.  I know I can get one up for one
wavelength, but I do not know about room for two
wavelengths.

It is a tough trade off to give up many more QSO's
on the other low bands at night, but I know that
the 160 meter guys appreciate it.  I can probably
get a couple of them to buy me a beer at Dayton -
hi, hi.

Thanks for the feedback on what you are hearing in
the states.
Best 73 from your much better looking brother,
Jan

--
Bernie McClenny, W3UR (ex WR3E, WB3JRU)
Editor of The Daily DX