Topband: HC8

Bob Marshall-Read bob.read@ieee.org
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 13:37:46 +0100

Topbanders,

The QRN levels here in western Europe have been very high for the past
two nights, but about 20 minutes before sunrise this morning local time
(0330Z)  HC8/N0JK peaked at about 559 with heavy QRN and some rapid QSB.
This was another I needed badly, bringing the G4VGO total to 163
worked.   (EI7IU cards have coming in and with the XZ1 arriving last
week, the total is now 100 confirmed for that five month operation)

No other North American or South American stations were heard this
morning.

On another subject, the V6 trip appears a go for sure now, with some
divers from G land coming on the trip to act as porters for the heavy
gear and to assist in doing some scuba diving in 'Iron bottom Sound' off
of the Truk coast.  I am told IOTA for Truk is OC 011.

We plan to leave in mid february and stay until the middle of the first
week in March.

One of the only active locals in micronesia is V63AO, and if anything
can be done to encourage Nishi to operate the low bands, I'll give it a
go.

As far as equipment, I am thinking of an buying an IC-706 or FT-100 for
portability and an AL-811X amplifier as it will not be that cumbersome
as well.  The transmit antenna will probably be an inverted L on the
beach up 70 feet and out about 80, with either flags, pennants, or K9AYs
for receive unless space can be found for the northeast and northwest
beverages for EU and USA paths.

Any comments on the IC-706 or FT-100 (or other choices) for CW will be
welcomed.  Please reply direct to me at bob.read@ieee.org

Thanks for the bandwidth.

73

Bob   G4VGO/EI7IU