Topband: Infinitely Small Antenna

Bill Hohnstein K0HA k0ha@navix.net
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 22:28:47 -0700

Poor conditions and a high static level have dealt a near-death blow
to top band conditions this late spring.  A high static level during
the WPX CW Contest made HC8N my only contact outside of North America
then.  But, it's good to know that some had better luck on 160M during
the contest.  Condensed to just the topband essentials, the following
was reported to the 3830 Reflector by one European:

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Prefixes

  160CW       34          34         64       12

 TRCVR:  TS850S  - 100W
 ANT:    NO ANT. - 160m

***

Maybe I would have had better luck if I left my coax disconnected
while I was on 160M--I know that the static level would have at
least been down...

73,  Bill     K0HA