Topband: MFJ-1026 comments

W2pm@aol.com W2pm@aol.com
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:51:56 EST

Re the various commentaries on the original question set regarding MFJ;s
claim I would think any amateur worth his salt - especially a Topbander -
would do well to examine the technical basis of the claims for any device
used in his shack and seek to grasp the fundementals of the processes
involved.  Not to do so truly invites use ot the phrase "appliance operator"
...  73 Pete, W2PM

PS: I use the JPS ANC4 rather than the MFJ unit and it performs very well on
all bands except 160 where its marginal at best even with several different
sense antennas... There was a similar thread on this very topic last year
which revealed that the MFJ was superior on 160 because the phasing network
indeed had the range to shift the noise signal thru 180 degrees while the JPS
does not quite make it.  The MFJ also has a sense antenna attenuator I
believe which can be very useful in some circumstances.  When I was at a
noisier QTH I had a neighbors fishtank and the  primary source of noise.  I
used a magnetic loop "aimed" at that souce as the noise antenna and it worked
well...