Topband: One-way conditions 23/11/99

Steve Ireland sire@omen.net.au
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:22:19 +0800

Dear Bob,

Great to hear from you, as always.  Boy, I wish I had your knowledge/wisdom
in these matters.

I actually forgot to mention one crucial thing - there was no actual peak
of the signals as sunrise approached, ie the signals I could hear seemed to
stay at a similar average level throughout the 25 minute or so period I
operated (taking into account the massive QSB on them) - when I worked
stations from the same areas, they were at the same strength near/on
sunrise as they were 25 minutes before sunrise.

The other factor I have since discovered is that Mike VK6HD, some 450 km to
the SE of me, experienced the usual  typical enhancement in signals levels
as sunrise approached.  With him the better signals from Eu were peaking
around S9 at sunrise, while they were only S5 with me at maximum.  Mike was
also using a similar inverted vee antenna (with the apex around 80 - 90'
above ground).

What a difference a few hundred kilometres on the topband can make.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ