Topband: 160 m Band Condx

Joseph Dube kk4tr@webtv.net
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:34:12 -0400 (EDT)

Certainly has been alot of activity around the band and so early in the
season.  For about the last week or so I've been listening to all the
1's,2's,3's,northern 4's,5's,6's,7'sand 0's working the world. One
fellow even worked the ZK dxpedition with hurriedly constructed shunt
fed tower with one radial thrown  the ground!  All the posting on the
reflector and flurries of activity make for a really fine time on the
160 meter band  except for one thing. Here in Tampa,Fl. I'm not hearing
a peep!! For example, I am closer to the FY than everyone . One would
expect that I would at least hear the station. Yet that is not the case.
The same is true for the V31's that have been on the  band of late. With
the exception of this morning I've had difficulty hearing either V31MP
or KX yet YS1RR comes blasting in. The rest of the long haul stuff I
understand-EU,Africa,Extreme southern SA,VK & the Pacific.I guess it's
because I've only been licensed since 1964 and am over looking
something. Has anyone out there got a reasonable explination for these
strange conditions or should I just turn up the AF gain on the rig!!
HaHaHa.  Seriously, there must be some reason for the disparity in
signal strength from stations in relativley the same area. Incidentally
all you guys out there from Maine to Washinton and all points south all
have great signals into Tampa every nite. Keep up the good work and
thanks for any help you guys  can give me with my problem.

Joe KK4TR
ampa,Fl.

http://kk4tr.tripod.com