Topband: HF "Intruder" Apparently Buzzes Off

Joe Craig jcraig@morgan.ucs.mun.ca
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:02:47 -0230 (NDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Tom Frenaye wrote:
> According to a reliable source who did not wish to be identified, the
> transmissions heard on 3.5, 3.6 and 3.7 MHz emanated from high-power HF
> radar transmitters being operated by the Canadian military
> from Newfoundland. The operation reportedly had the
> blessing of Industry Canada--the Canadian equivalent of the FCC--and hams
> in Newfoundland also were said to have been informed.

There is a local OHT radar about 30 miles to the south of my QTH.  The
buzz is extremely loud and irritating... and it will be back again.

Hams in Newfoundland were NOT informed.  It seems there's nothing that
can be done about it.  It completely obliterates everything in a 50 kHz
bandwidth and even appears on 160 metres at times.  It is not a
part of the m ilitary, but a private/research group.

73
Joe VO1NA