Topband: Re: Loading Coil

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:43:46 -0500

Tom,

I presume you are planning what is normally referred to as a "half
sloper". That is a quarter-wave-resonant element fed at one end, either
at the ground or against the side of a tower. It is generally
recommended to locate the loading inductor near the center of such a
wire element. As for the coil dimensions, there are lots of variables in
play there, and if you have some coils, try them to see if you can get
into the ball park. Use instinct as to wire size (you know, #14 will
handle a KW and have low loss if the coil form is good stuff. I'd say 4"
diameterish buy 8" longish. Others can add on here...

73,          Roy         K6XK