Topband: Season seems to open here

EA3VY-JOSE MATA GARRIGA jmata@nil.fut.es
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:45:25 +0200

Last week, that included equinox, smooted QRN and provided some contacts
with East Coast. Propagation drops sharply half one hour before sunrise.
Today K7CA entered very well and hope this will be the sign that season
starts.

This is time to realize how conditions of this 1999 summertime have been
different from those prevailing in 1982-85. I reviewed old logs and found I
made round of year practically daily QSOs with EastCoast.  South America was
full open including 5 9+ SSB several contacts with CP8HD in June.
Unbelievable. And no clusters or Internet to help.

As you see this summertime, that included 3 direct hits at tower during
stormy weather, was very poor here. Upgrading the dedicated radio PC and its
network links and tampering with EZNEC.

Incidentally, for those that are intersted in 4 square vertical arrays. Are
you aware of the fact that the normal 0.25 spacing can be drastically
reduced just feeding front and back elements with equal currents, as usual,
but higher than the ones supplied to center elements. Phasing as usual 90
degrees steps. If after checking these facts in your favorite modeling
program, providing the 4 classic 90 degree stubs and arriving to the two
voltage fed classic places you have problems how to feed these places with
different voltages and phases just send me an e-mail. I will send you a
dedicated program to calculate the adequate two line lag system. It works
for all voltages or currents, accepts negative resistance components found
sometimes in arrays and cost you nothing, Hi.

The offer holds, of cause, for anybody interested on similar problems.

73s
Jose EA3VY