Topband: Source for Helium Balloons

Mike Michon michon@eatel.net
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:03:37 -0700

We use the balloons from:

Balloons Everywhere
4658 Airport Bvd.
Mobile, AL 36608

Internet www.balloons.com
Local--334-341-3520
Fax--334-341-3582
Free FAx--800-753-3528
Nationwide--800-239-2000

The 4 foot diameter supports 75 feet of the wire we use (military surplus
steel/copper, about 18/20 gauge).

We use a 60 foot mast so we don't have to support the whole wire, and it
keps it from blowing horizontal into the trees. The mast is EMT sections.

By adding a second balloon at the midpoint of the antenna, it adds more
lift, and in a breeze, for some reason, the 2 balloons tend to blow
(oscillate) in different directions.  It is funny to watch, but the antenna
maintains a vertical position in a wind better this way.

I would also recommend ordering extra balloons as we have purchased them
with holes right out of the pack. Not a happy thought 2 days before the 160
contest in the woods of Mississippi.

The 4 footand 3 foot balloons are not listed in their catalogue, but if you
call them and ask, they have them. About $9.00 a piece if I remember
correctly.

Mike Michon
AB5XP