Topband: BQ9P

Dick Wolf n6ff@tco.net
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:23:54 -0700

Hi gang,

Well, we did hear Pratas very weakly this morning, from 1152z until 1240z,
QSX 1823, working a massive pile of JA's.  He was about 50% copy here, but I
gave a few fruitless calls anyway.  Quite hopeless against the stronger JA
stations, hi.  I believe he then QSY'd to 80m CW around 1240z.

He did return to 1826.4 about 1318Z and was solid Q5 copy, though not moving
the S meter, again QSX 1823.  Myself and Ted/KA6W called for quite awhile, but
no cigar.  Very frustrating to hear those cq's and an occassional QRZ.  He
disappeared at this QTH at 1340Z, but could still hear a few JA's calling him.

I for one, appreciate their trying, but with the absence of a low-noise rx
antenna at Pratas, it was going to take excellent condx, which we did not
have here today.  The JA's were very strong & 9M2AX was decent copy.
I think a QSX freq above 1825 may have increased the west-coast chances, but
a decent path was just not there today.

I don't know if they will be QRV again tomorrow, or start breaking down the
antennas/stations today.  The published QRT time is 2100Z on April 12.
Maybe someone can ask them on one of the other bands, and send it to this
list.

73 - Dick - N6FF