Topband: Critters Eating Cables

TNeill1648@aol.com TNeill1648@aol.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:48:34 EDT

I thought I would share my thoughts and inject some "country wisdom" since I
live on a farm had for years had a major problem with various critters eating
my coax and rotor cables.

Several years ago I had a bad experience with a large snake that crawled on
my back patio.  After getting the snake off the bricks with water from a
garden hose I put one of my trusty 12 gauge shotguns to work and that
concluded that episode.

I was telling several guys what happened at the farmers co-op and they
shared their "country wisdom" on keeping snakes away from the house and I
must admit, that it works.  It is very simple.  Periodically spread a few
moth balls around the foundation of your house or around your fence by your
house.  I tried this and that was the end of snakes, skunks, and assorted
other critters around the house.

A few weeks later, I was checking my RG-17 coax where it runs up the tower
nd noticed that it was almost eaten through by some critter.  I took a
coffee can that is about 1 quart in size and punched holes in the bottom of
the can so it would drain moisture.  The top of the can was sealed with the
plastic top that comes with the coffee can.  The can was filled with moth
balls and wired to the tower leg where the coax comes out of the ground from
4 inch conduit.  About once per quarter I change the moth balls and that has
been the end of critters chewing on my hardline and coax.
For what it's worth.  73s all

Tom, K4XG