Topband: The A and K indicators

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 23:03:29 -0600

Well, after the "Where's New England" post of Saturday night, I have
received quite a number of responses privately as well as posts.

I was led to believe that the A index was quite a good predictor of prop.
Isn't 3 supposed to be great?  There must be another aspect to this that I
for one don't understand.

I've also noticed that the A index varies depending on who takes it--which
implies where it was taken and not variability in the measurement.  Is there
a local phenomena that can affect only the appalachian mountains to the east
and the Rocky's to the west?  If I were to place push pins on a US map of
the Friday night Qs, the area includes only south (AL, GA, TX, AZ, OK, MO,
etc.) and east to MI (very weak MI), IN, IL WI and weak OH.  West to WY and
CO.

I think we need to discover this new index and call it TBI for "Top Band
Indicator."

Anybody got clues to the physics behind this goofy prop?

Ford-N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com