Topband: MFJ-1040B - a good preamp for 160?

Dave Goodwin VE2ZP/VE9CB VE2ZP@sympatico.ca
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:50:57 -0500

Here are excerpts of the replies I've received so far:

Negative comments:
------------------
I bought one of these a year ago at HRO but returned it
within a few days. My old ameco PT-2 and new ameco PT-3
preamps are both superior to it. It is very noisy when
in use. I directly compared it to the amecos and both
are better.

Don't do it!
Tried two over the years and they are RUBBISH.

Positive:
---------
i use it on the k9ay loops and on a slinky antenna... not always... it is
not a every time thing and not a miricle type deal, but when it is needed
and works, it makes the difference between hearing and not.  u really have
to experiment wid it to get the right balance.  is it worth it... yep, id
say.

Alternative suggestions:
------------------------
Andy Ikin of Wellbrook Communications who produce the ALA1530 and K9AY
antennas will sell you one of his amplifiers if you're interested. They have
an excellent IMD performance.  http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/

I don't think an amplifier buys you anything when used with a beverage of
reasonable length, except to make your s-meter kick higher, and make you
turn down the gain. <snip> Flags, pennants, and especially shielded magnetic
loops may be a different matter. But don't put the amplifier right in front
of the rx, unless your rx has poor front-end gain or NF.  I think it wold be
hard to beat the front end performance of most modern receivers with an
add-on amplifier.  The place to put the amp is right at the output of the
antenna.  This will ensure that the desired signal swamps any common-mode
pick-up on the coax to the rx, and overcomes any s/n degradation due to loss
in the cable.

Thanks to KU7I, W8WEJ, W8JI, VE3QAA and Tracey Gardner (no call sign
mentioned) for their comments.