Topband: 160 antennas

Dr. John Harden altdx@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:17:17 -0500

Dear Gang,

One great antenna for 160 (that I have used for years) is the "inverted
U" by K8RRH. It was described in the famous "Minooka Special " article
by W9UCW in QST in the 1970's. Mine is
up 60-70 feet, out 100, and down 60-70 feet to a ground connection.

I feed it at the other end with a large series inductor, and a Jennings
UCLS-1000 vacuum variable to ground. It models OMNI on 160, and
bi-directional with gain (2-3db) on 80 CW.

There is a wire connecting ground at one end with the ground at the far
end. There is a fairly substantial radial system at each end. Usually if
I can hear it I can work it. Locally K4TEA (Ken) has been using one for
years. Mine has been up quite a while.

73,

John, W4NU
Atlanta