Topband: CQWW 160m SSB - signals

Valeri Stefanov wally@el-soft.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:09:31 +0200

Hi top band addicts,

Haven't been on the band for couple of years and few days
before this one have installed a folded dipole with one leg
parallel to the ground @ 25 m high and another leg slooping
to the ground at an angle of app. 45 deg and ending abt 5m
above ground. Antenna is supported by large building which
is closing for me the south east( VK-ZL) and south (Africa).
Being almost right in the center of 150 000 inhabitants city
means only one thing - noise, noise, noise, but I wanted to
feel the band again and to give guys some more points.

Worked mostly EU as could be expected and heard first
morning one USA stn in MA ( did not get the call and he
was working with OT0T. I heard just US sending MA and
OT0T finished the QSO). The other one who was readable
over the ocean was KV4FZ ( RS 55 , 0320 Z).
Went to sleep second night because the QRN and noise=20
level became very severe and working even EU was a real torture.
Some stations however from EU were really loud ( 59 plus
60 db and more !!!!!) : SV8CS, OM0WR, UU7J, S50S, YT0A.

Will greatly appreciate some reports on my signal to my
direct E mail address.( wally@el-soft.com)
(Used FT847 + ACOM 2000 A ).

So, I'll see you all at the end of March(22-29) from YM3LZ and
I'll be working hard on my phased verticals this summer at=20
my country side QTH. I hope to get everything ready for
the CQWW SSB in October there.( 2el. 135deg phased=20
verticals and set up of beverage ant. ).

73, Wally LZ2CJ