R: Topband: Vertical on tophill loc. ?

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:19:38 -0500

> antennas are or out-of-phase or in-phase. Meanwhile an horizontal antenna
> benefits up to 6db of real gain at some elevation angles (and nulls at
> others to keep E=mc^2) independly by ground constants, a vertically
> polarized quartewave antenna hasn't any other chance than a maximum
> theoretical gain of 3 dB, at low elevation angles and if ground is
> perfect.

I have both verticals and high dipoles (at 300+ feet). The terrain
here is basically flat, just a gentle roll to pasture and woods.

My experience clearly shows the gain advantages of dipoles do
NOT show up on 160 meters, unless special conditions occur. That
includes any distance, not just very long distances.

The best that happens, under normal conditions, is a 1/2 wl dipole
at 300 feet just equals a 200 foot vertical with one hundred 200 foot
long radials. Lower dipoles are even less useful, except within a
few hundred miles. Sunrise peaks are the exception, when the high
horizontal commonly goes through a "gain enhancement".

Your results may vary, but these are the results I have observed
when comparing nearly optimum systems that are far enough apart
for minimal interaction. If I could only have one antenna, it would
absolutely be the vertical.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com