Topband: VK6 Cndx

Tom Rauch w8ji@contesting.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 08:46:16 -0500

Hi Mike,

> sunset...1201z the vertical and the inv.vee were the same on receive and 5
> minutes later the vertical was well ahead. I changed over to the vertical,
> for tx, at 1205z. I wonder whether this change would have anything to do
> with signal direction from here. A further point. I gave up using the
> beverages as signals were coming from an arc  North through to East and to
> the South. Murphy would dictate that I would always have the wrong
> beverage in so I gave up and used the TX antenna, which of course was more
> prone to the QRN.

I notice the same thing here quite often when working VK.
Sometimes the high dipoles are best, sometimes the verticals.

Like Jon observed, signals sometimes change arrival direction and
polarization with time. It happens more often the further away the
DX is, and only at sunrise and mostly under disturbed conditions.

The Beverages, being vertically polarized, track the four square
closely. Sometimes when the verticals and Beverages are almost
dead the dipole is just booming! Ten minutes later it can all change.

But the verticals are better virtually 100% of the time except in
disturbed conditions, and that exception occurs mostly at sunrise.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com