Topband: More 3W5FM, Reflector, etc.

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.MIT.edu
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 18:43:50 +0000

W1FV wrote:

>The one notable exception is the path to VK6 at sunset which is, by far,
>the most common LP opening here.  On 160 I have observed perhaps a dozen LP
>openings there and it has always been NE to E--never SE.    The same trend
>holds on 80 except around the equinoxes when it sometimes becomes SE.

John, I wonder if this may be the exception because a true 180 degree
reciprocal path may be possible without having to pass through
or near the polar daylight regions.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think VK6 is about 300 degrees from Boston.  Hence the LP signal can
take the path of least absorption in complete darkness with conventional
propagation modes.  The equivalent to this for Western USA stations is
their 80M morning opening to areas like FR5DX.  The true bearing from
there is close to East so the LP signal can traverse the 180 degree path
to the West without having to cross the daylight region of the South Pole.

>During our summertime the 80 m LP is less common but when it occurs, it is
>skewed and the direction is NE.  The path to VK6 at those times peaks at
>VK6 sunrise which is an hour or more BEFORE my sunset and it's always NE.
>One mid-summer opening to YB was also NE.

Very interesting...I didn't even realize there was LP during the
summer!  The fact that the signals are NE is interesting and might
support the notion that signals are refracting around the NORTH polar
area of perpetual greyline in the summer just as they may do around the
South pole in our winter.

>Bottom line--be prepared to work them from whatever the direction is!

Amen!  It's too bad the LP openings on 160 are so rare but I think
the wealth of data on 80 allows us to draw some conclusions for 160.
Thanks for some interesting observations from (IMHO) one of the most
experienced 80M ops in the Northeast!  (I would love to hear some
comments from N7UA who is your equivalent in the Northwest.)

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV