Topband: Re: long path in sunlight

Roger Graves rgraves@uvic.ca
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:27:26 -0800

Bill,
I suggest that one should not discount paths (long or short) on 160 where
part of the middle of the path is in sunlight. All this means is that the
signal
can not make ground reflections in this region because the E layer will
reflect the signal back up, topside reflections. Actually, these topside E
layer reflections are just what is needed for E to F layer ducting
propagation with very low loss (since there is no passing thru the
absorptive D layer). Thus, long path thru the South Polar daylight region is
quite possible on 160. The long path qso's I have had from BC to EU on 80
around my sunrise, if they are true great circles, often go thru regions
where E to F ducting appears to be the only viable mode, and this low loss
mode is consistent with observed high signal strengths.

Rod  VE7VV