Topband: XE3/W0AH possible antennas..?

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin@voyager.net
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 09:10:22 -0800

Hi Doug,

I am a bit confused.  A 24 foot vertical, with short top loading wires and,
also, a  B&W loading coil.  Where is the B&W loading coil going?
If you are going up only 24 feet, the top loading wires/guy lines could be
about 25 ft long, with 8 - 10 feet of nonconductive rope on the bottom.
If you can use a couple or three more sections to get the vertical part up
to 34 or 39 feet, you could put nonconductive guy ropes at about 20 feet and
use top loading from guy wires on the top.  You could get three 40 foot
wires, plus 10+ feet of nonconductive guy rope on the top guy system.  That
would give you an electrical length of maybe 90 to 100 feet overall.
How you would match is up to you.  With 90 feet electrical length I guess a
series capacitor for 80 might do the job and get close to 50 ohms, with
three top loading wires.  An L-net tuner would do the job if the resistive
component of the antenna impedance is not between 40 & 60 ohms,
On 160, you still need about 35 feet of inductive loading to get to
resonance.  It that where the B&W loading coil comes into play?
BTW, with the present configuration, how are you getting from the antenna
impedance up to 50 ohms?

73    George,    K8GG