Topband: 160M Receiving Antenna Ideas Wanted

Brad Ambro ambro.brad@towerautomotive.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:45:48 -0600

I was wondering if there might be some 160 mtr enthusiats out there who
might be able to
give me some suggestions on putting up an effective rcv antenna for 160?
I live on a 2-1/2
acre lot w/ the available space of abt 300' x 300'. I am currently using
a delta loop, the
top of which is supported by a 136' tower. It doesn't do that good of a
job of receiving.
I live adjacent to a forest preserve and a couple of years ago, I ran
abt 1,000' of wire
thru some trees, along a fenceline. It ran E-W and sometimes wkd OK.
Eventually, it
was "found " and I was asked to take it down. I did use a transformer
with it to change
the impedance to an acceptable one.

My neighbor, who lives in the lot next to me, has 2 3-acre parcels side
by side. I talked
to him abt being able to run a wire above the fenceline, with the wire
suitably supported,
and out of the way of his horses. He told me that he didn't have any
problem with that.
If I followed the entire fenceline along the back of my lot and along
his lot to the end of
the fenceline (and his property), that would give me about 1,000 feet of
distance to work
with.

Other than that, I need to come up with something that'll fit on my lot.
Any ideas or sug-
gestions would be very much appreciated. So far, I have worked abt 160
countries on
topband and they don't come too easily. Thanks for reading this. Good DX
and 73 de
Brad, N9EN (ex-KA9LTR)

P.S.  For everyone's general knowledge, you can easily research all past
Topband archives (as well as those for all reflectors on contesting.com)
by using eHam.net detective at       http://www.eham.net/search/
To research this question, you could type in EWE, Flag, Pennant, K9AY,
snake, etc. and find all posts with references to these.  73,  Bill W4ZV