Topband: the loop is up

Doug Waller NX4D@magicnet.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:53:48 -0500

Much has been said about no need to elevate receive only antennas.  I live
in a subdivision of huge trees and aerial power & CATV lines.  My roof also
has metal flashing around its perimeter.

So when I constructed a 160-80M pennant antenna with the vertical end only
6ft above the ground, I was very disappointed with its reception.  I have
now elevated the pennant so that the vertical end is 15 ft above ground and
it made a big difference.  The terminating resistor was left at 840 ohms,
but from advice I have read, it should probably be lower, for greater
height.

I used a Gap Titan DX antenna center section for the vertical portion of the
pennant, and it works fine.

73/dx, Doug/Nx4d