Topband: High Beverage noise

Jon Zaimes AA1K jon.zaimes@dol.net
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:00:44 +0000

A little over a week ago I installed a new Beverage aimed at 110 degrees.
Because it crosses the driveway, I decided to make it higher than normal
for the entire 880-ft. length. The height is 15 feet, vs. 8-10 feet for all
my other Beverages.

This Beverage is far noisier than all the rest. The others are typically
S0-S1 noise level, but this one is a steady S8 noise floor!

Is the additional gain from the extra height enough to account for this, or
should I be looking for some other source? It just sounds like a raised
noise floor -- not like power line or other generated noise.

The wire does go under the AC line leading to the house, perpendicular to
it, but I haven't had any particular noise problems from that line.

All the Beverages are single-wire, fed with hardline on the ground and
matched with similar transformers. All are terminated to single ground rods.

The Beverage did work in the desired direction -- got me a PY multiplier
that I couldn't copy on any of the other wires.

73/Jon AA1K