Topband: Rx Ant Preamps?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs@islands.vi
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:29:52 -0300

I have had very good results feeding the flag with 100 feet of 300 ohm Radio
Shack grade twin lead and then a shorter piece of RG-6 to the receiver.  This
was an attempt, considering the velocity factor of this twin lead, to
construct a 1/4 wave transformer to match the 900 ohm requirement of the K6SE
Pennant.  The twin lead is of course balanced and up to a point deals with the
unbalanced to ground problem.  There is no common mode rejection but with the
discontinuity electrically 1/4 wave from the antenna I was very impress with
the antennas performance.  Whether or not a sleeve balun or enough of those
Radio Shack clamp on toroids would improve things, I don't know, but I plan to
try this later.  I did not find that a pre-amp was necessary.

Good Luck
73

Herb Schoenbohm (KV4FZ)