Topband: Band Opening

Thomas Giella kn4lf@webtv.net
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:30:12 -0500 (EST)

  I worked DJ7AA at 0433 UTC this morning on LSB and received a 44
report with my QRP 125 watts and 1/2 wave linear loaded L. Will ws 55 at
time of QSO but later peaked here in Central Florida at 59+10!
  At the time of the excellent band opening the Kp index was between 4
and 6. These high K figures should have torn up the F layer and messed
up the chordal hop E/F layers duct, as well as increasing post sunset D
layer absorption.
  As I've seen so many times before though, the initial onset of Auroral
conditions seem to enhance 160 meter propagation, only to degrade it
within 24 hours of initial onset if the elevated K conditions persist.

73 Friend,
Thomas Giella
KN4LF